"Leave your drugs in the chemist's pot if you can heal your patients with food"

Hippocrates


Sunday, April 15, 2012

Lentil and bacon spring salad


Salads are one of my favourite meals to prepare for dinner. They are light, versatile and packed with nutrients. I know this is a blog about canine nutrition, but I figure that if you are interested in nutrition for your dog, then like me, you are also interested in nutrition for yourself and family!

Ingredients
Sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
2 big handfuls of baby arugula (about 2 cups)
1 medium red pepper
1/2 red onion
1 large carrot, grated.
A handful of sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, raw (not salted)
6 strips of bacon

2 tbsps chopped parsley
1.5 cups gourmet organic lentils, cooked in a pinch of salt and diced herbs
(I have tried both organic lentils and normal lentils and the taste difference to me is incredible. Organic lentils are by far superior in texture and taste.)

Dressing
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic  reduction (or just plain balsamic vinegar, but I like the sweetest of the reduction as it offsets the bitterness of the arugula)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic minced

Instructions.
Mix all the salad dressing ingredients together and let sit while preparing the rest of the salad.
Cook lentils until tender. Let cool. Cook bacon until nice and crispy.

Wash arugula and put a large handful onto each plate. Decorate with strips of red pepper, parsley, grated carrot, thinly sliced red onions and the seeds. This is my favourite part and I always take my time to make it look nice. Add the bacon and then sprinkle the lentils all around the plate. Cover with dressing and enjoy with a nice malbec!





Nutritional content:
Serves 2
Calories per serving: 621
25 grams protein, 42 grams carbohydrates, 40 grams of fat
This salad is a great source of folate, iron, potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment