"Leave your drugs in the chemist's pot if you can heal your patients with food"

Hippocrates


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Introducing Tonic Tuesdays

Herbs have been a passion of mine ever since I was a little girl. My family and I would spend our summers at our family cabin in Red Bay Ontario where we were immersed in nature. I spent a large portion of my time up there pouring over old herb books fantasizing about curing my family from imaginary ailments with tinctures and teas. I read about the calming effects of chamomile, the fortifying properties of hawthorn and the purifying benefits of nettle. I grew a herb garden with my mother which helped me to appreciate the challenges of organic gardens as well as added dimension and flavour to our family meals.

It is therefore a natural progression that my interest in herbs cross paths with my love of dogs. In fact after reading many books and watching several educational videos on the topic I feel confident that common herbs can be used to strengthen the immune system and increase overall health.

To be clear, I am not a herbalist and I am therefore not recommending doses of herbs for medicinal purposes. My objective with herbs and Tonic Tuesdays is merely to illustrate ways in which you, as a dog owner, can fortify your pet’s diet and boost his overall health. In fact, each new herb that I introduce weekly can also be added to your personal diet as there is no better method of receiving vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients than from their natural, whole sources.

What is a tonic herb?

Gregory Tilford, a well known veterinary herbalist, defines tonic herbs as a herb that strengthens the body’s natural healing functions. A formal definition states that it is any substance that balances the biochemical and physiological events that comprise the body systems.

A tonic herb must be free of side-effects and have no adverse reactions in small amounts. A tonic herb gently supports the organ systems (or sometimes a specific organ) which overtime improves its function and in turn, promotes overall health and wellness. In short, tonic herbs are not a quick fix. They are a method of supporting and improving a nutritious and natural diet.

Remember that when sourcing herbs for your dog, seek out organic, local growers. Our purpose in using tonic herbs is to increase health and wellness and we can’t accomplish this if we’re feeding herbs filled with chemicals and pesticides.

Without further ado, this week’s tonic herb is a spring of parsley!



Parsley is best served fresh, in either a chopped or pureed form. Parsley supports the immune system, freshens breath and can increase joint mobility. I recommend a teaspoon of parsley for a small breed dog and up to one to two tablespoons for a large breed dog. Remember, you cannot overdose your dog on parsley, as excess parsley will just be excreted. That being said, dogs are not herbivores and will likely not enjoy eating a salad for dinner. Therefore, use a reasonable amount and enjoy the benefits!

No comments:

Post a Comment